Monday 15 November 2010

The sweet change to tarmac

The roads in Bolivia are rural and full of charm, but it can feel like slow going on them when there is a target destination. The crossing of the border to Argentina has resulted in a change of pace. The road I´m following south to Salta now is smooth asphalt, in fact it is the Pan Americana. The tyres are pumped up to 70psi and it´s 20-30km an hour when the wind is not blowing. In the spirit of my now slightly meandering route, I set off east to Yavi on my second day in the country. The road there was also nicely paved despite it being a much more rural destination.  There is a little old Spanish era church at Yavi with onyx for windows, a gold alter and original unrestored paintings. The gardener showed me around and there is an old mansion next door which operates as a museum with some not so organised but rather interesting bits. The relaxed set-up has lots of charm.

09-11-2010 The church at Yavi.

13-11-2010 My lunchtime shelter in a bus stop which had the windows blocked with stones to keep the  fierce headwind out. Clearly the wind is a persistent thing here as the someone had already blocked the windows to save me doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment